Thursday, March 5, 2009

Small Steps

So today I was at my kids' school for an evening of math activities. We went to my son's classroom first where there was a project that included cutting out paper pictures, coloring, and gluing. I started cutting duty and was piling my paper scraps next to me when one of the moms also sitting at the table picked up the scraps and put them in the trash. In the trash! The classroom has a recycle basket for paper which the kids take out and empty into the large bin outside. The school gets money for it when the recycling company comes and picks up the paper. I was a bit irritated, but I also understand that her actions were not trying to be mean in any way. She was being helpful in her understanding. And I must say, a few years ago I would not even have noticed where the paper went.

This seems to be one of the irks about trying to live more environmentally friendly. While you are trying hard to strive for something, there are others that do not seem to care. Like the dad who does not turn off his truck while waiting to pick up his kids from school, even though it is a beautiful day out and there is no reason to idle the car for 30 minutes. It makes me upset, but what can I do about it without sounding "preachy." Sounding high and mighty about something never really wins people over. I know if someone who was more environmentally friendly than me gave me a lecture while I was minding my own business, it would not encourage me to see the wrong of my ways. The way I look at it is that being better for the earth is change to be made in small steps. Our family will continue striving to be kinder to the earth because it makes us feel better to do so, and we will hope that maybe our example will help others on their way.


No comments:

Post a Comment